Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Why I Eat Meat

Today I bought some ground bison and some hickory-smoked turkey bacon and some wild-caught salmon fillets, and I got to thinking about meat in general.
Oh man.


OH MAN.


A while ago the New York Times ran a contest of sorts where people could send in essays about their ethical reasons for eating meat.  Obviously, there are plenty of ethical reasons NOT to eat meat.  For some people it’s a religious thing; for others it’s political; for others stll, it’s environmental.  For a lot of people it’s a health issue.  Some people just plain don’t like it.

I get all those, but if I don’t eat meat, I feel like a sad little anemic red blood cell.  My insides have frowny faces if I don’t get a regular dose of hamburger.

Also I’m training for a 10K, and while it’s totally possible to be vegetarian or even vegan and have a really hardcore athletic lifestyle, it just wouldn’t work for me.  I promise.
I don't know when the Times' contest closed, and honestly I don't really have a good ethical reason to eat meat; I just need to eat meat.
I’m also not sure why I feel the need to defend my omnivorism.  I suppose it really only comes down to the fact that I wouldn’t mind eating steak for breakfast.  In fact, I have eaten steak for breakfast.  And I feel like a lot of people would judge me for that.
Here’s a poem I wrote a few years ago about the process of cooking a whole chicken: 

Dinner for Two

 A knife, and you: the bird lies in the sink

A pair of shears, the yellow, mottled fat.

Insistent hands tear bone from shiny pink

Muscle, and I toss some to the cat.

I never knew a “tender” was a part—

I just thought fast food chains devised the name.

You show to me the kidneys and the heart,

 The wishbone sits to dry, our little game.

The Pope’s nose cut away, the spine thrown out,

The pieces, two by two, lined on a pan.

Defrocked, defiled, the skin is strewn about,

We scoop it up, we dump it in the can.

By ten o’clock, our dinner’s nearly done.

I don’t mind eating late—my heart, you’ve won.


(I don't love this poem but some people have told me that they do.  So whatever.)

No comments:

Post a Comment