Pages

Monday, September 3, 2012

Remember The Plane (Or, A Lesson in Decisions Made with Poor Oxygen)


So I just got back from a weekend visiting my friend in Phoenix, which is one of the hottest places in the entire world as far as my conditioned-for-lake-effect-snow body is concerned.  Getting there and back to Chicago required flights of at least three hours, and sitting in that recycled air, watching the sun set and the lights in the cities below come on made me wonder if that was a real thing when on 30 Rock, Carol broke down in front of Liz and then apologized for his uncontrollable emotions, saying that it’s a condition that regularly happens to people who change altitude more than four times a day.

I once dated a guy who had some major behavioral and emotional issues, which I gamely ignored until I couldn’t any longer, and at one point during our short relationship we flew together from my hometown in Kentucky back to Pennsylvania, where we were in college.  We’d already had plenty of ups and downs by this point, but during that flight together, somehow, things were just right between us.  We snuggled up to one another, watched the clouds outside our window, and at one point one of us (probably me) said, “Whatever happens in the future, let’s just say, ‘remember the plane,’ and everything will be okay.”  And the other one of us (probably him) agreed.

Maybe a week later I broke up with him.

The point is, never make any big decisions on a plane.

I didn’t, in case you were worried.  I’m just looking out for you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment