Pages

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Fainting and Being Weird

So I just started the new quarter in my grad program, and I thought I was going to be so smart and take only one class instead of two so I would only have one night a week of going to class straight from work and feeling totally run-down and terrible the next day.  Also, less homework. 
What I neglected to take into account was the fact that I enrolled in a magazine writing course, which, it turns out, involves TALKING and INTERVIEWING and REPORTING, and all sorts of things that require I go up to a stranger and ask them to tell me about their lives.
Dear God, help me.
So last night I went to a poetry reading.  It’s a monthly event that my roommate and I attend, and I’d spoken to the curators about interviewing them about how the series got started.  I was still freaked out and full of anxiety and unhappiness, but I figured, at least I’m getting somewhere.  We went to the reading, which was pretty fun, and afterwards my roommate and I stood around talking to people and got roped into a super awkward conversation with a guy who may or may not have been on drugs.
While he was going on in his rambling, convoluted way about how boring business school is and my roommate and I were trying to figure out how to end the conversation, something weird happened.  I began to feel very hot, and my vision went blurry.  Then I couldn’t hear anymore.
I woke up sometime later on the kitchen floor with maybe a dozen faces peering up at me.
And that’s how I had the first real fainting experience of my life.  (The only other time was when I had the flu in college, and I don’t think that counts since I was definitely the sickest I’d ever been.)
Damn corset.  I knew it would get me.

The waking up was probably the worst part.  It was kind of embarrassing with all these strangers watching me.   But it was kind of nice after that, because of all the nice people who talked to me and helped me and made sure I was okay.
I don’t think there’s a point to this story, except that I’m realllllly stressed out and I get easily dehydrated.  I could probably never live in the southwest.
The end.  Hope you’re all happy and healthy.

1 comment: