Pages

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Things That Are Hardcore: WHITE TIGERS


Today was an extraordinary day.
I always feel better when I’ve accomplished something significant—in comparison to times when I relax and maybe take care of myself but don’t get much done—and today I’ve been able to do both.
After a morning of kettlebells, buying fun groceries like smoked salmon and whipped cream cheese, and picking up my pants at the tailor’s, and making myself a delicious brunch, I packed up my notebook and my voice recorder and headed to Navy Pier.
Despite my reasons for going to Navy Pier, I was feeling good.  I’d gotten some exercise.  I’d made myself French toast with real maple syrup.  I’d even made my bed, and making my bed always makes nighttime so much more inviting.  (I may have mentioned before that while I’m 24 chronologically, I am much, much older in my head.  At least two decades older.)
Anyway, the trip was prompted by the fact that I desperately needed a story for my first magazine article assignment.  (See the story where I fainted for the full scoop on my anxiety regarding saying words out loud to other people.)  I’d seen an ad for a Royal White Tigers exhibit at Navy Pier, and figured it’d be a good spot for a story.
I was also just psyched to see some white tigers, because I love tigers.  They look like giant kittens and I want to snuggle them.  Did anyone see We Bought A Zoo?  OMG.

When Matt Damon looks in the mrror, he probably sees a tiger anyway.

And somehow, guys, I did it.  I made it through the tigers exhibit, got three people to talk to me AND provide their contact information, and got enough material for a decent story.  I talked to two of the men staffing the tiger enclosures and talking to the people coming through, and I snagged a few lines from a middle-aged lady who was there with her two nieces.
Bless kind-hearted people who take pity on an anxiety-ridden grad student.
And bless Gita and her one-year-old cub Kozmo, for being WHITE TIGERS and being SO AWESOME that hundreds of people come to see them every day.

Here are some things I learned about tigers today:
They eat raw meat, and they can’t digest anything else.
They can’t purr.  (Isn’t that a tragedy?  The sound of a purr is a wonderful thing.)
They have gorgeous fat paws.    
Finally, white tigers are extinct in the wild, but they’re going to be released back soon.  So take care of the environment and say no to poaching.
Because tigers are snuggly, adorable, badass kittens.  And they have significantly decreased my anxiety.

You so cute, you killer cat, you.

1 comment: