Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Some Southern Hospitality, Far From the South

Today an awful moment turned into a wonderful moment.
For some people—many people—what happened would have turned an awful moment into an even worse moment, but for me it was sublime.
Let me back up.  For two days now it has been HOT.  And I mean insanely, disgustingly, I-want-to-die hot.  So after a night sleeping in a pool of sweat and spending the next day curled up by the air conditioner, I resigned myself to the fact that I needed to go to the university at which I am enrolled and pick up my UPass, the nifty little transit card that lets me go on any bus and any train in Chicago for a low price.
Today they were giving out UPasses until 6, and they wouldn’t be open again until Tuesday, so when it got close to 4 I decided to be brave and go outside.
I got to school and realized, right when I walked up to the correct building, that I didn’t have my student ID with me.  Gah!  I needed that thing in order to get my UPass, so I had no choice but to go back home (about a 20-30 minute commute) and get it. 
On the way home, because I thought it would make me more productive, I stopped at the grocery and bought a few things for my dinner (to be discussed at the end of this).  By the time I got home and dropped off my food and got my ID, it was close to 5 and I knew I’d better hurry.
Back outside, I hopped on a bus and then caught another train to campus.
All this time, I was very hot.  Sweating, my clothes sticking to me, the whole deal.  I was also getting very hungry and thirsty.  I was cranky about forgetting my ID before.  And then at one of the train stops on my way to campus, one million people got on who were coming from the Cubs game, including maybe 7 or 8 tourists.
These guys were from Dallas.  Most of them were very large and very loud.  (Sadly, I have been in Chicago for less than 2 weeks and I already feel snarky about tourists.)  They filled up the car and made me even crankier, but I consoled myself with the fact that I was getting off in a few stops.
So when I was almost to my stop, I stood up and politely said “Excuse me,” so I could get by.
And a Dallas tourist drawled, “Yes, ma’am.”
And then I was not cranky anymore!
The way that stranger from Dallas spoke to me reminded me of home and happiness and nice people, and got me through the rest of the day.  I am still feeding off it.
I got my UPass and went home and cooked these, with a few alterations (I’m not a big fan of green chiles or tomatoes), and it was one of the best dinners of my life.  The weather has also cooled off considerably since this afternoon. 
Some people, I understand, would not appreciate my adventure on the train today.  A lot of women my age don’t like “ma’am” because it makes them feel or seem old, and people who aren’t from the south might not like it at all.
But it sure made a difference in the life of this lady.  Thank you, Dallas stranger.  You made my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment