Pages

Monday, September 5, 2011

The Surprise

This morning, I woke up to a job offer.
I’d applied for a receptionist position downtown, and someone from the company got back to me extremely quickly and explained more about the position, what it entailed.  Essentially, I had the job if I just provided some information.
Are you suspicious yet?  Wait, there’s more:
This job consisted largely of handling jewelry sales for an international company and then wiring the payments to Switzerland.
Now you’re DEFINITELY suspicious.
As a part-time remote personal assistant, I would receive a 10% commission on each sale.  Also, the “Financial Representative” from Switzerland who supposedly wanted to hire me was using a GMAIL ACCOUNT and wasn’t too concerned about spelling or punctuation.
Yeah, I got scammed.
Obviously I didn’t reply.  But keep in mind I already applied for this job a few days ago, meaning I sent in my resume, which has my address and phone number and most of my work history on it.
So now I’m just going to sit on my hands and hope that my identity doesn’t get stolen.
There is no moral to this story, except be smart.  Yes, I applied for this job through Craigslist, but that doesn't mean it's a bad route to take.  Craigslist is as full of valid, respectable jobs as it is full of creeps and scammers. 
I really need a job, you guys.
And on that note...Happy Labor Day!

UPDATE, 9/6: This happened again.  Different job, different scam attempt, another stressful deflection on my part.  Am I really a moron?

I am never getting a job.   I am going to stay in school and live off federal loans forever, because the world is out to get me.

1 comment:

  1. you need a job; I need a job that doesn't make me want to knife myself in the throat!

    :)

    GLAD YOU DIDN'T GET SCAMMED

    ReplyDelete